If you want to thrive despite the summertime heat, there’s nothing more crucial than a properly functioning cooling tower and HVAC system. However, ensuring that your system is ready for the summer heat can be challenging, especially if you don’t know what signs or issues to look for.
There are several aspects to keeping your cooling tower running properly during the summer. Remain vigilant of these two primary factors: how often you use the system, and how much extra maintenance attention you need to give the system to keep it running. By attending to both concerns, in tandem, your HVAC system will become more cost-effective and run smooth all summer long.
Why Summer Months Are Hard on Cooling Towers and HVAC Systems
Summer is by far the hardest time of year on cooling towers and HVAC systems. Not only do they have to work harder to overcome the hot season’s high temperatures, but they’re also being used with greater regularity, which can cause added stress to the system.
Although cooling tower and HVAC professionals know the most common summertime problems for these systems, few people realize just how prevalent those issues really are. Some of the most common problems include:
- The air conditioning unit isn’t cooling enough.
- The air conditioning unit is running constantly, which can lead to high energy bills.
- The evaporator coil is frozen or damaged, which means the tower won’t be able to cool to proper temperatures.
If you’re experiencing any of the aforementioned problems, it’s best to call a professional cooling tower or HVAC technician right away. They will be able to inspect the system and diagnose the source of the problem. The intense demand that summer places on HVAC systems makes it all the more critical to take proactive steps that will help the system continue to run smoothly while also minimizing damage from everyday wear and tear.
In order to prevent such common problems from occurring in your own cooling tower or HVAC system, here are a few tips:
- Keep the Filters/Strainers clean. This is one of the most important things you can do to keep your HVAC system running well. Dirty filters or stainers will cause the unit to work harder and eventually break down.
- Make sure the unit is the proper size for your building. If it’s too small, it will have to work overtime to cool down the building, which has the unfortunate side effect of wearing it out faster. If it’s too large, it will cycle on and off too often, which can also lead to problems down the line.
- Have the system serviced regularly by a professional technician. A yearly system tune-up can help to prevent – or identify early – any problems, and extend the life of your HVAC system.
- Make wise use of the system when cooling your home or office building. Try not to overcool in an effort to save money – it’s better to set the thermostat a few degrees higher and save on energy costs, than to have your HVAC break down.
However, the biggest area that is generally overlooked is the Water treatment. That is because these experts have not been schooled in the science and art of properly taking care of the water that flows through these units. If you don’t know the condition of your water or the inside conditions of what it flows through, this could cause all of the concerns listed above. If problems persist this is the quick next step that must be investigated.
Tips for Cooling Tower Maintenance During the Summer
During the summer months, it’s vital to keep your cooling tower in excellent condition. Diligently follow your routine maintenance schedule. It will ensure that you’re both easier on the system and mindful of its usage.
Below are some tips to help you maintain your cooling tower during the hottest part of the year:
- Inspect your cooling tower for any leaks or damage.
- Make sure the water level is sufficient and that the pump is working properly.
- Clean the cooling tower regularly using a garden hose. Be sure to remove any debris or fouling.
- Check the airflow and ensure that it is adequate.
- Fans and motors should be inspected regularly for damage or defects that could affect their performance.
- Keep an eye on the weather forecast and adjust your cooling tower settings accordingly.
- Start systems up early so that they don’t need to work so hard.
- Understand what the water inside the systems looks like, see what debris is in the strainer and have it analyzed, inspect opened equipment and photograph lastly get a second opinion so you know your water treatment is performing
Cooling towers are a critical component of any building, and proper maintenance is essential to keep it running smoothly during the summer. If an HVAC system is not properly maintained, it can overheat and cause extensive damage.
The maintenance technician should check the filters/strainers and clean them if necessary, ensuring that the system has sufficient airflow and water flow. The technician should also check the cooling tower for any debris accumulation and, if necessary, clean it.
Keep Your Cooling Tower Running Smoothly All Summer Long
To prevent these problems, it is important to schedule regular maintenance checks of the HVAC system and cooling tower routinely before and during the summer. Staying proactive and addressing problems promptly will extend the life of your cooling tower, and help it function at its best even during the hottest times of the year.
Water treatment must be properly in place, if not even the best HVAC company and technician will not be able to solve your problems. For more information, reach out to the cooling tower experts at Tower Water today at 212-518-6475 or schedule a consultation with us.